Thursday, April 22, 2010

Heirloom Dress

When my mom was born in 1951, her Aunt Grace made her a silky, peach-colored dress with a lace yoke.
Thirty years later, I was born, and I wore the dress on this sunny day in spring/summer 1982.
Twenty-seven years after that, Kate was born, and she too wore the dress on a pretty day in our backyard last September.
This little gown is such a family treasure. Maybe one day (in the 2030s--holy cats!) a fourth generation will don the heirloom dress. Wouldn't that be something?

What heirloom items do you pass down in your family?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

there is this lovely baptismal gown we have in our family

Rachel Moss said...

That dress is beautiful! How special that it's been passed down through 3 generations.
Our kitchen table was used by my grandparents and parents when they were first married. It's not really "my style" (if I even have one), but I love the family history it holds.

SpeasHill said...

That's so sweet. We tend to pass down our issues. I'm hoping to break the pattern. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin