Friday, April 09, 2010

Easter Weekend Recap

Enough time has passed and enough other posts have been written that it feels unnecessary to do a full blog recap of our Easter weekend now, but it's always nice to have a record. To riff on a magnet we have on our fridge, "If it's not on the blog, it didn't really happen." (The actual magnet says "If it's not in the scrapbook," but it's the same idea.)

So, to start things off with my day off Friday (added bonus to working for a Christian company--Good Friday off!) I dropped Kate off at day care like always, then went to the grocery store to stock up on fruit and get stuff for Easter dinner. It was fun to be at Kroger so early; I saw more employees than fellow shoppers, and I was finished by 8:45 am. Yay for productivity! After dropping the groceries off at home and picking up Matt, we headed back to the school at 9:30 for Kate's class Easter egg hunt.

"Mommy, she's stealing my bucket!"

My mom and grandmother arrived that afternoon to spend the weekend with us. Dad didn't drive down till Saturday night because of campaign stuff on Saturday, but it was so special that Nana could come. My grandfather didn't get out of the house much in his final years, but now that he is gone, Nana can travel a little bit. Bittersweet, yes, but she really enjoys seeing where we live and had fun spending more time with Kate.
We had lots of fun visiting some gift shops, just hanging out, playing with eggs, and trying on our bunny ears.
Saturday, Matt and I exchanged our Easter baskets. He got tea and a book, I got vino. (It was a long Lent.)
Kate got a rubber ball, some crayons and paper, a book, bubbles, and some yogurt melts (which she doesn't seem to like).
Since I was hosting Easter dinner on Sunday, I spent part of Saturday folding napkins into bunnies. I'm a strange sort of housekeeper, in that I hate to clean but I love doing fun, cute Susie-Homemaker things like this! I'll arrange flowers, decorate the table with chiffon ribbon and dyed Easter eggs, and even make napkins into bunnies... but I have no desire or will to iron the tablecloth!
We had ten adults for Easter lunch after church, and then all went outside to watch Kate hunt for Easter eggs (or, more accurately, watch Kate toddle around the yard with her bucket and try to run toward the street at every opportunity while we chase after her with cameras and yell "can someone wipe that boogie?").
It was a lovely weekend, and while my photos may say the most special thing about it was Kate's dress, what I really treasure most about it was that Nana was able to come spend it with us.

2 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

I think it's so sweet that you and your husband exchange Easter baskets. My in-laws do that, too.
Your Easter table looks beautiful!
Does Kate use crayons already? I tried giving Katelyn some while we were at a restaurant yesterday, but she really wasn't interested.

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

She mainly taps the crayons against the paper, making dots, rather than actual strokes of color. It's wishful thinking, I guess (I gave her Tadoodles in her stocking, and that really went nowhere) but she'll get it soon, I'm sure!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin