Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Eather Ei!

That's how Kate says "Easter egg," we discovered this weekend, so it seemed a fitting title for this post. As I mentioned, Easter Sunday was very low-key, but we did some fun things Friday and Saturday of the long Easter weekend.

Friday, Matt scheduled a massage for me--I know, way to reflect on the pain and suffering of Jesus, right? It was very sweet of Matt, though, having scheduled it a week before, when I'd had my worst day of throwing up yet and was so sore from all the convulsing, had a migraine from the dehydration, etc. This Friday, though, I actually felt disconcertingly good! Best I'd felt in a while! But the massage was still a welcome time of relaxation.

I did some scrapbooking in the morning, and actually cooked in the evening (I can't remember the last time food seemed un-disgusting enough to put effort into preparing it!) Kate ended the day with a random fever of 102.8, but it came down quickly with ibuprofin and she slept straight through when we would have gone to Good Friday service (Kate and I--Matt had to go anyway, of course).

Saturday morning, Kate and I dyed Easter eggs in our pajamas. She actually got into it this year, dropping the eggs in the cups gently, getting them out with the little wire wand, etc. Since it was so rainy Sunday that we couldn't go hunt them outside, they are still just sitting in the fridge, waiting to be part of a spinach salad or zucchini casserole (my two recipes that use hard boiled eggs).

Then (after calling to make sure the fluke fever wasn't a dealbreaker) Kate and I went down to Nancy's house for a Thirty-One party, and Kate and Becca had fun playing together while the ladies perused the catalog. It was a pajama party, so we wore our jammies and ate chocolate chip pancakes. It was great!

 Kate and I stayed after the party to dye eggs again with Nancy and Becca!

Later that afternoon, we had the church Easter egg hunt, where Kate collected a gazillion plastic eggs



 ... and then gorged herself on chocolate.
Though it really felt like we'd indulged her enough already, we still gave her her Easter basket that night, since the Easter Bunny visits pastors' kids on Saturday. Kate got a Sesame Street book and coloring book, "Elmo fizzies" for the bath, some bubbles, and a cow and farmer girl for her Little People farm.

Her favorite part was the bubbles. She'd gotten a bottle in her Christmas stocking, but since she insists on holding the bottle herself, they tend to get spilled quickly. We're down to about 1/3 of this bottle already.


Kate says "Happy Eather!" and hopes you had an enjoyable weekend celebrating Christ's resurrection... with eggs, chocolate, and bubbles... I really do wrestle with the secular "fun" parts of holy-days. Having a small child makes it both more important to emphasize the meaning of the holiday and harder to resist the fun stuff at the same time!

2 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

I completely agree with the last sentence of this post!

bobbie said...

I love how you used starbucks cups to dye your eggs. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin