Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thinking of Fall

I have a problem. No matter what season it is, at some point, I start dreaming of and wishing it to be the next season. In November, I'm excited about Christmas. By January, I'm dreaming of spring. After a few nice days with no coat, I'm ready for summer.

And, of course. . . by July, I am looking forward to fall.

It started today because I am feeling the itch to buy some cute new clothes for Kate, and she already has enough for summer. Kate had some of the cutest outfits last fall (most of which I bought all in one lot on eBay--$280 worth of clothes for only $32, including shipping!) I'm dreaming of school supplies and pumpkins. I'm thinking of the cool, crisp air and picturing myself in a long, chunky sweater with toggle-buttons, eating chili to the soundtrack of football on Sunday afternoon.

For a long time, I not only looked a season ahead on the calendar, but in life. I couldn't wait to get married, to get a house, to have babies. . . I once doodled an abstract rendering of things I love, things that define me. Amidst the pencil, the palette, the cross, the book, I drew an arrow going backward and an arrow going forward--symbolizing the past and the future, things I invested much mental energy daydreaming about. My friend with whom I shared the doodle had to ask: "What about the present?"

I hadn't even thought of that. I loved to reminisce about special times, and I loved to imagine things I hoped for in the future. But living in the present I was not so good at. It's something I've worked to do better at--just enjoying the moment and celebrating the stage of life that I am currently in, rather than always focusing on the receding horizon. Having Kate has helped me break this habit to some extent. I don't want to wish away a moment with her, much less half a season, or a whole season of life.

1 comment:

SpeasHill said...

I have the same problem and a similar revelation with Becca this week. I want to soak up every little thing about her at this age before we move on...but we're always moving on, and never at the right speed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin