Monday, July 26, 2010

Baby Shower (with Cake Balls!)

I hosted a baby shower on Saturday, and while I'm sure the mom-to-be would disagree, my favorite part was the cake balls I made. Ok, maybe even "favorite part" is a stretch, but I was definitely pretty proud of them.
If you've never heard of a "cake ball" before, basically, you just bake a cake, crumble it up, stir in a can of frosting, refrigerate, make balls, dip in candy coating (or almond bark), and serve. Sprinkles and lollipop sticks are optional. I've seen these on a couple blogs and heard they were recently featured on the food network. The candy coating was tough to work with, but it was worth it and they were definitely a big hit.

But enough about my cake balls. I love hosting parties, and while I am by no means a big cook, I love presentation. My co-hostess and I did a color scheme of pink, yellow, and turquoise, with a minor rubber ducky theme. (I saw the idea of rubber duckies in the punch bowl on a blog too.) The mom-to-be's MIL made the little paper shoes filled with Jordan almonds. She couldn't be there, but sent them from Utah for the shower.

We played a couple games--baby trivia, and a memory game. Chocolates make a good prize, I think--cheap, but something people will enjoy and not clutter up their house.
On the practical side of shower-planning: it's a good idea to stash a notepad, pen, and trash bag nearby for when opening presents!
Here's mom-to-be Brittney cutting the cake...
...and opening presents...
...Grandma and Aunt gushing over a super-soft blanket...
Congratulations, Brittney! and Welcome Baby Ellachase!!

7 comments:

mam said...

I am really looking forward to when you throw me a party like this. You can go ahead and start working on vegan cake balls.
Love!
Maria

Rachel Moss said...

Ooooh, we love cake balls around here. They do take a lot of time, though, so we haven't had any in a while. We did take a huge batch with us to the hospital when K was born...that made us a hit with the nurses and docs!
I also made them as Christmas presents for the other pastors and staff members at church. Super inexpensive, yet highly favored!
Those little booties are too cute. I can't even imagine how long it took the MIL to make them.

Rachel Moss said...

I forgot to say that I completely agree about chocolate being a great shower prize!

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

Thanks, Rachel--I think I'll make some cake balls at Christmas too, now that I know how!

Maria, I'll work on a vegan recipe for your shower!

That's Life said...

Ducks are my favorite! Love, love, love the punch bowl!!

Unknown said...

I really love the ducks in the punch bowl. Your cake balls look yummy.

emily eve said...

I just came across your blog from Kelly's Korner and it's so random, Brittany was one of my sorority's sister at UTM.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin