Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Secret to Marital Bliss

My grandparents celebrated their 73rd anniversary today. Yep, they were married on January 2, 1937, just a week after my grandmother's 18th birthday.

Given that they've been married longer than some people live, I thought I would ask them their secret to marital bliss. Actually, I think I said "marital success," not "bliss," which is probably a secret in itself, since longevity requires enduring times that aren't so blissful.

Nana responded, "Well, I think it comes down to the three 'P's: patience, perseverance, and prayer."

Grandpa added a fourth 'P' that I think sums it all up: "Just put up with each other!"

Amen to that, Grandpa. Happy anniversary!

3 comments:

melody said...

I love to hear what our elders have to say as they have such wisdom from living and experiencing so much of life. I love the fourth P! Ha! That is really cute.

Anonymous said...

73?! Wow...The previous high number I heard was my wife's grandparents at 67, when he passed away at age 94. Amazing.

Rachel Moss said...

What great advice!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin