Monday, October 25, 2010

Bits and Pieces

Just a few bits and pieces to share...

Two Abingdon authors were on Good Morning America and Fox & Friends last week. They aren't "my" authors (meaning I am not their editor) but it was still really cool to see our work on national morning shows!

Deanna Favre (Brett Favre's wife and a breast cancer survivor) and Shane Stanford (a United Methodist pastor and hemophiliac who contracted HIV as a teenager) talked about their book, The Cure for the Chronic Life: Overcoming the Hopelessness That Holds You Back. As two people who have dealt with disease (one of them a chronic disease), they wrote a book about overcoming hopelessness and despair--whether it is from an illness or just the tough things of life. Here's the segment. (They wanted her to talk about Brett's illicit sexting, but she just said, "my faith gets me through it.")


On to another subject, I've won two blog giveaways in my life--the first was my blog design from The Design Girl. The second one was a couple weeks ago, winning a pair of Lee Slender Secret jeans from Blonde Mom Blog. I wore them for the first time on Friday, and they are really, really comfy. Just enough stretch to be slim-fitting but not "skinny jean" tight, and I don't look like a plumber when I bend over!

Matt and I often call each other "Mommy"or "Daddy" when speaking on behalf of Kate. ("Mommy, is there any more milk?" or whatnot.) And Kate can say "Mommy" and "Daddy" with ease. The other night, though, I was changing Kate's diaper and wanted Matt to come help me with something in the nursery. So, I called to him a couple times, "Daddy! Daddy!" to no avail. So my voice got sharper (of course, right as Matt finally showed up in the doorway) and I gave a very staccato, "Matt!" Kate repeated me immediately, saying "Matt!" a few times before we reminded her, "You can call me 'Daddy,' thankyouverymuch."

I am loving this trend of leggings/footless tights. Soooo comfortable, and cute with flats or heels. Even Kate's getting in on the act. How cute are those polka dot footless tights under her denim jumper?
To update again on Kate's somewhat picky eating, thanks to my friend who suggested meatloaf--Kate ate that last week, and some chicken as well. She's still not so into the veggies, but as they show up on her plate for the thousandth time, maybe she'll give them a try. I read an article recently on how picky eaters can be iron-deficient, since it is meat and veggies they are most likely to avoid. It said that curry and thyme were great sources of iron that can be snuck in as seasonings. So, I'm trying to put thyme in everything now, but the other night, I didn't even serve her any of the thyme mashed potatoes since she was already chowing down on the chicken before I could put the potatoes on her plate!

Finally, if you've made it to the end of this scattershot post, let me share with you a verse of Scripture that has been my focus this past week. It has been encouraging to me, and I can think of a few of you readers who might need to hear these words right now as well. Blessings to you.

But as for me, I will look to the Lord,
I will wait for the God of my salvation;
my God will hear me.

-- Micah 7:7

1 comment:

Rachel Moss said...

Katelyn will randomly call Jer and I by our given names. It always takes us a while to realize that she is trying to get our attention.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin