Thursday, May 13, 2010

How I Nabbed My Husband

Not exactly, but I did want to share these pics of two items of clothing I came across when sorting through my drawers a while back (around Christmas, judging from the decorated mantle). Apparently, I was really into sleeveless turtlenecks in 2003.

The oatmeal-colored one on the left is what I was wearing when Matt and I met on August 24, 2003. We were at the first event of orientation at Vanderbilt Divinity School--a "salad supper" at which we played People Bingo and the sparks flew as I told him "I don't need your signature." I wore this with black capris and a cool beaded bracelet, I recall.

The pink one on the right is what I wore on our first date less than a week later, on August 30. I wore it with black pants and black sandals, which I agonized over because I knew the sandals' 3-inch heels would make me taller than Matt. I wore them anyway and began a half-decade of knee-bending (in photos, at least). (sorry, sweetie. I love you.) Matt wore a black dress shirt and jeans, and glasses that pinched the sides of his face, since he was getting Lasik a few days later and was in the no-contacts period. He had a goatee then, too, which he grew into a full beard within a few months, I think. We went to the Italian restaurant at the Opryland Hotel, which is now underwater. 

I haven't worn these tops in a few years, but I can't imagine getting rid of them. Special memories. 

Do you remember what you were wearing when you first met your spouse? Or on your first date or when you got engaged? 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't want to share the whole story of how i nabbed my spouse, but suffice to say it involved a pair of assless chaps...

Rachel Moss said...

Great post! I was pretty into sleeveless turtlenecks, too.
I don't remember what I was wearing when I met Jer (I was only 11), but I do remember what he was wearing. A plaid flannel shirt, unbuttoned with a white T underneath, ratty jeans, and black Doc Martins. His family had just moved to Dallas from Washington state...I thought his grungy look was a little weird.
When he proposed, I was wearing a red sleeveless sweater with black capris and black sandals.

Kim said...

Josh was wearing a white button down, black slacks,and a blue tie the first time I saw him and jeans, a white button-down, and cowboy boots (and a belt buckle) on our first date. The first time he met me I was wearing a green dress and I was wearing it again when we got engaged. And I, too, will keep those items forever!

Oh, and Matt's comment just cracked me up! Hilarious!

SpeasHill said...

Best part of this post might be Matt's comment. Ew.

Pretty sure I was wearing jeans/yoga pants and a sweatshirt for all of these things - except the engagement, during which he gave me time to change out of the pajamas he rightfully projected that I would be wearing. And he's surprised that I never dress up now...

Kristen said...

Ditto on Matt's post. Amazing. I don't remember what I was wearing but do remember what JM was wearing the first time we kissed. He still has the shirt! HA!

Unknown said...

hahaha, matt...
first date: a white top, capped sleeves, lace detail with skinny jeans and some turquoise heels (on a broken foot might i add). add on some huge earrings and a bracelet to match.

night we were engaged: a ivory sweater (sleeveless) with a belt around the waist of it. black pants and black wedges. a black pea coat as well since it was february and we were on the roof of sambucca.

yay, this was fun!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin