Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trick-or-Treat Safari

We all dressed up this year for Halloween, with our safari family costumes. Neighbors repeatedly said we were the best ensemble costume they saw all night, and best of all, I didn't pay a cent for any of it!

Claire wore the monkey costume Kate wore in 2009. Kate wore the leopard costume my mom made for me back in 1985. And Matt and I borrowed the British colonial helmets from his parents.


Matt even shaved his chin to complete the "jolly good" look. He carried his pipe and I made him a monocle out of a clear plastic water bottle cap. We took the wagon, but Kate ran energetically from door to door, saying "Happy Halloween!" and "Trick or Treat!" I'm glad she got so into it. And she sweetly made sure that Claire got candy at each house too.

We stayed out a long time, and it was really fun to see the neighborhood buzzing with people. We should have block parties or something to get everybody out more! Some preteen boys took all the candy we left out in a bowl (I know this because we were only at the next house when they did it!) but that's okay because I didn't buy the really good stuff, and at least a quarter of the bowl was last year's leftover candy that has sat in our pantry all year ;0) So joke's on you, kids.
These kiddos got a reasonable amount of candy, which I'm sure will last us all year again!


5 comments:

Kim said...

Sooo cute!

Kristen said...

So adorable. And I am cracking up at the kids realizing they're eating year-old candy. Mwa ha ha ha...

Rachel Moss said...

I don't know how you make that candy last all year! When K gets a stash of candy we let her have about one piece each day...and then I eat the rest of it whenever I think she's had more than enough.
Your costumes were adorable!

Janet said...

What adorable costumes. We've never dressed up as a family but I saw a garden gnome family this year and thought it was so cute. We may have to do something like that for our church's fall festival next year. Too funny about the year old candy. We still had half a bowl left when we got home. I would have preferred to see it gone.

Craftcherry said...

Fantastic family costumes! Love it.
Someone in an SUV came and stole the rest of our candy. We watched them do it from our upstairs window after putting the kids to bed. I guess it was late so no one else was going to come...but really...love that those teenagers got old candy...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin