Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Tennessee Dream

I was born and raised in Louisville, Ky., and my only exposure to Tennessee as a child was a visit or two to Opryland and the song "Rocky Top," which we enjoyed in spite of the fact that we were UK fans and didn't care a lick for the Vols. I learned great things like why Tennessee folk "drink their corn from a jar." Nonetheless, at age eight, I wrote this very serious letter to my father.


If you can't make that out, it says: "Dear Dad, I've made up my mind, when I grow up I'm going to Tennessee to sing country music, maybe in Opryland." 
(Instead, I became an editor and learned when a period or semicolon would be more appropriate than a comma.)


I even addressed this very important folded piece of paper. And drew a stamp. Why my mother did not merit informing about this great plan, I don't know. Even today, I tend to call Dad when I want to talk career stuff, so maybe that started early. Mom's the one who saved this artifact in my baby book, though. 

In any case, I think it's kind of cool that I ended up living in Nashville, even if the whole "country music" dream went by the wayside, in part because I never actually listened to country music until after I moved to Nashville, and then only for a time in a "can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of way. Christian publishing is Nashville's other big business, so I guess it's a good second. :0)

3 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

You were a prophet and didn't even know it!
I consult my daddy about career decisions, too. In fact, he's the one who gave me the piece of advice that "freed" me to leave the school I was at last year and return to my original school.

Sonya said...

I love that! I have such fond memories of the Opryland theme park!

Kristen said...

Okay, that is absolutely amazing! I love it. My favorite part is how it begins, "I've made up my mind..." Because there are so many choices at age 8. ;)

WAY too cute!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin