Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cookies! Om nom nom...

Noticing that I had a half-full container of rolled oats in the cupboard and knowing that there's only one thing I ever make with oats, I felt inspired this morning to make my signature Cranberry Oatmeal White Chocolate Chunk Cookies. And I knew that Kate would love to be Mommy's Little Helper. She loves to help with whatever Mommy's doing, and she loves cookies!
As I suspected, she was very into it, helping stir the ingredients and pour in the things I'd measured out. The recipe calls for two eggs, and after I cracked the first one and put it in, Kate of course wanted to do the second. I tried to show her how to tap it and split it, but she just squeezed until the thing shattered. That's definitely another way to do it, and amazingly did not get any shell in the batter!

Finally, it was time to add the best parts--the Craisins and white chocolate!

Matt was gone most of the day helping a family in the church move, and I was hoping he'd get back in time to take some pics of Kate and I cooking together, but alas he did not, and the arms-length thing does not work as well with a big SLR as it does with a little point-and-shoot.
Fortunately, the auto-timer got a good shot of us, though! I think Kate has a white chocolate chip in her mouth, which is why her teeth look funny.
Time to go in the oven! We have to use creative tricks to get Kate away from the oven when we're putting things in or taking them out. Here, I asked her to start cleaning up. While making dinner tonight, Matt begged her to come sit with him on the couch while I put the eggplant parmasean in, but she would not leave the space between my legs and the cabinets. Finally, I just said, "Kate, Daddy has a boo boo!" and she ran to kiss it. Sweet girl.

In case you're interested, here's the recipe:
(I've been making these for years, but I think I originally got the recipe off a Craisins bag, so I really can't take credit!)

2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 6 oz. pkg. Craisins
2/3 c. white chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 375. Beat butter and brown sugar together, add eggs and mix well. In separate bowl (though I often just do it all together) combine oats, flour, soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture gradually, mixing as you go. Add berries and chocolate. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. (Makes two dozen.)

1 comment:

Rachel Moss said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'll try these soon.
It looks like Kate had a great time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin