Thursday, November 12, 2009

Still Pumping

In case you were wondering...

I'm still going to my little conference room twice during each work day and taping up my sign...Still opening my little cooler and plugging things in... Still getting "track marks" on my arm from holding the shields against my chest...
Still pumping!
It's been nine months since we gave up on Kate nursing and I started pumping 7-8 times a day (then six, then five, and now generally just four). Some people tell me I'm crazy to spend the time and effort (and recently, blood, but I won't get into that) when Kate wasn't into breastfeeding, but I love giving my little girl good, healthy, IQ-and-immunity-boosting milk.
Originally, I considered stopping at nine months, so I wouldn't have to worry with pumping in New Orleans, but I managed just fine (filling most of a gallon cow's milk jug... what? TMI? Sorry...) and I'm determined to keep going until Kate's first birthday. Though I've given away a fair amount of frozen milk through Milkshare to adopted babies and other babies/mommies who can't nurse, I still have a whole chest freezer full, which will last for a couple months beyond the time I stop pumping.
(and I'll spare you more boobie-pumping talk until then!)

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow! What an accomplishment! I'm a big believer in nursing, but even I don't think I could have lasted so long with a pump.

Rachel Moss said...

Good for you! I'm still nursing my daughter, too, but I absolutely hate pumpking. Don't know if I would have lasted if I had to do it even 4 times a day.

SpeasHill said...

Way to go! I made it 8 months exclusively pumping, and we had so much stored up that Becca got some breastmilk until her first birthday. This sounds odd since I barely even know you - but I'm really proud that you are sticking with it - and that you have donated some, too! I guess we pump goddesses have to stick together!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin