Sunday, July 05, 2009

Patriotism and the Church

I always have a lot of mixed emotions around the Fourth of July, because a) it's my birthday, b) I love analyzing American culture, and this is the most American of days, but c) in America, we too often have trouble separating our love of country and our love of God.

I'd be tempted to write a good post fleshing out point c, but I doubt I could do it any better than Rachel Held Evans, whose book on losing and finding her faith in "Monkeytown" (Dayton, TN, home of the Scopes Monkey Trial) is being published by Zondervan. So if you are at all interested in church/state issues, patriotism and Christianity, or living as a Christ-follower in America, check out her post on "4th of July Weekend: A Case for Compartmentalization."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin