Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mom Shoes

These are my Mom Shoes. (Definitely not to be confused with Mom Jeans.)

I got them on my first solo trip to the mall with Kate. I remember wondering what a mall is like at 10am on a Wednesday, correctly assuming it’s a different demographic from the teenage mob scene of evenings and weekends, which previously was all I’d seen as a working 9-5er. 10am Wednesday, on the other hand, is Stroller City. There are moms of every age and style, promenading their Chiccos and Gracos and MacLarens all over the place.

Anyway, I’d been looking for a cute flat to wear around on maternity leave since I was used to wearing 3-4 inch heels every day to work and couldn’t wear flip flops all the time in February. They needed to be:

- cute without socks, because I hate wearing socks if the weather doesn’t absolutely require it.
- comfy enough to wear while pushing a stroller on a walk around the neighborhood
- closed-in-toe to hide the fact that I do not have time to get regular pedicures anymore (plus I have heard mixed reports on whether nail polish is verboten when breastfeeding, so I’m trying to paint sparingly).

I found them at Old Navy for $20. They came in gold, silver, and bronze. These are the silver but they look a little bronzy in certain lights. I think they fit the bill, and while I never wear flats to work (except on an occasional casual Friday), I still love to wear these on the weekends. I call them my Mom Shoes because I can run around the house or grocery store, holding Kate in the sling, and not be in pain or turn an ankle. (In the poic above, you can actually see my scar from my broken ankle surgery in 1998--I don't need another of those!)

What wardrobe changes did you make when you became a mom?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin