Wednesday, March 06, 2013

WMW: Parenting is a Marathon

Have you ever listened to the end of the popular NPR show, "Car Talk" with Click & Clack, the Tappett brothers? They're funny, and in the credits at the end of their show, they include some humorous names. For example, their law firm is supposedly "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe."

They also mention the leader of their working mothers' support group, "Erasmus B. Dragon."

Some days, my ass is draggin', so I can definitely identify.

Today's post is relevant to all parents, really, but given the pressure working moms often put on themselves to "do it all," I thought I'd share this gem of wisdom, which I can't even take credit for, as it is something my husband is reminding me all the time:

Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Matt reminds me this whenever I feel guilty for taking time for myself, or when I hesitate to ask for help, or when I get really anxious over some issue that doesn't have to be solved in a day. Going "all out" at every single moment will only wear us out—and the "finish line" is 18, 21, 35, 50 years away!

We have to pace ourselves. Take the long view. And that means if you need to let hubby take the kids to gymnastics so you can have some solo scrapbooking time (as I did last night), or let the playroom stay messy for a few days, so be it. If your "ass is draggin'," you're not going to be the best mom, wife, or employee you can be.

There's no prize for doing it all. The real reward is enjoying the journey, and the best news is that we get to run the race together.



2 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for this post - its timing couldn't have been better! I have been playing the mommy guilt card on myself lately!

Rachel Moss said...

Great, great, great post!

Jer and my dad are huge Click and Clack fans. Growing up, I kind of, sort of dreaded riding in the car with my dad on Saturdays. I'll listen to them now...but I'm really just holding out for "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me".

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin