Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Working Mom Wednesday: Mommy Groups in Church

Working Mom WednesdayIt's been a long time since I wrote a Working Mom Wednesday post--and I've actually had one percolating for quite a while now, but this is not it. No, this is a piece I wrote for Ministry Matters, the website for church leaders that I edit in my day job, and since it deals with working moms and church fellowship opportunities, I thought I'd share it here.

***


While visiting my parents this past weekend, I had the opportunity to worship at my home church (which I've gushed about before) and something in the bulletin caught my eye:
Mothers in Faith, a Kingdom Group for moms of young children, meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm.
My heart lept for joy, despite the fact that I live 150 miles away and couldn't actually be part of this group myself.
Why was I so happy?
Because this was the first small group, Bible study, play group, or fellowship gathering for moms that I'd seen that did not meet at 10 am on a Wednesday, or some other time that--intentionally or not--sent the message that working moms need not apply. . . . 

2 comments:

EMU said...

Ohh, great article. I really like this and I AM a SAHM. Good stuff.

Cindie said...

I am glad to see that, too, Jessica. I was always a "working" Mom and felt left out of those groups. The UMC I attend here in Florida has a 10am and a 6:30pm group.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin